Hooe is a parish 6 miles. South-west of Battle, on the river Ashburn, in Ninfield Hundred, rape of Hastings, and Union of Hailsham. The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester; rated at £7 2s 6d,; gross income £182; tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £220 7s 4d. impropriated, and 314 16s 4d. vicarial. Patron Sir G. Webster. The church is an antique stone edifice, with a low and massive embattled tower, a nave and chancel, and a small chapel on the north side, used as a vestry. The manor of Hooe being given to the abbey of Bec in Normandy, by Henry, Earl of Ewe, between AD 1096 and 1139, here was (according to the general usage in such cases) shortly after erected an alien priory of Benedictine monks to that foreign house, though sometimes reckoned as parcel of its principal cell in England, Okeburn. It was given by King Henry the VI, with Preston , to Eton College, and by King Edward IV to Ashford College in Kent, A fair for pedlery is held here on May 1st. The parish comprises about 3,000 acres.
|
GENTRY Dunn Rev, James Trace Routh Rev. John |
|
TRADERS |
| Blackman Jn and Saml, frmrs, Grove frm |
|
Carey Peter, bricklayer Chrismas William, farmer Cuthbert Jsph, Red Lion, and blacksmith Goldsmith Edwin, farmer King George, grocer and draper |
|
Lemon Joshua. Farmer Lemon Levi, farmer and brickmaker Relfe Thomas, land surveyor Rich William, farmer |